Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Thermo Fan's No Low Speed ?

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Trying to find out how these LS1 thermo fans work. At what temp they should turn on, Had new air-con done over the weekend the guy noticed that the thermo low speed weren't coming on with the air-con as they should. Only high speed comes on when its reached its temp. He checked all the replays and all was good. I replaced the temp senor as well. car has a new water pump / therm stat as well. Today I took it for a drive and the temp gets too around 105 and then cools back down to high 90's. On the needle size sits under half but at its hottest gets to half or a tad over before cooling down again.

Only thing I can think of now is get new fans ?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Has it been tuned? The tuners can have access to fan speeds and can turn them on or off at certain temps.

Maybe someone else might know the issue but before you buy new fans have I would have the ecu file looked at, as the fans are working so to me there's no need to replace them atm.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
No tune. Yeah they work on high only. I assume it has low speed as it has the Low & High speed relays.

Not sure if its related but yesterday the coolant boiled out of the overflow. Don't know why. I replaced the coolant and put the new water temp sensor in. Coolant was only done a few months ago with a new water pump and heater tap.

But since the ac guy informed me of this I'm sort of trying to find out what the issue may be. He did say its not a major issue as most of the time I'm driving but just said that they should kick in once the Ac is on. which there not. Just thought I'd try for answers but if no luck I will bite the bullet and take it somewhere. Obviously the temp goes higher quick due to this I guess.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
I don't think I recall finding a actual fuse not even in the car ? Besides the High and low relays which tested ok.