Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removal of VZ Head Unit

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I am off to buy the removal tool, so I can get the radio out, so I then then find the 2 screws, down there, I have lost while trying to repair the air vents. Should be able to fix the vents easily with it all out.

When replacing the radio, does it just slot back in, no dangly wires to reconnect ?
Will I have to input the PIN after.
Tah.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Fuggit. All too hard.
Got the radio removal tools. Top clips came away, but bottom clips didn't want to be nice, despite my best non-breaking efforts.
After a bit more googling and youtubing, I realised I was wasting my time, as I can only get to where I want by pulling out the centre console.
The missing screws / broken tab can stay that way. I don't want more broken tabs / missing screws in other places. :(

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just slot it back in.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
I used coat hanger wire to do mine in the VZ yrs ago, just did the VX a few days ago the same way.

2.png

1.png

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I had a few more attempts at what seems to be an easy job, and after cracking the radio facia in the bottom LH corner, gave up.
The annoying thing is, after failing, the elusive rattle from the air vents and under the console lid has gone.
Maybe just a stern talking to the dash was all that was needed.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex