Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 4L60e temps

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
Hey everyone,
I'm currently having an issue with my statesman where the gearbox is running a bit hot. It's getting up near 100c driving around normally and my test pedal area is getting quite hot when this happens.

Does anyone know what is the ideal operating temperature range for these gearboxes as I'm getting conflicting information on it and what could be causing it to run so hot?

For reference, I'm not hard on it, I don't tow with it and the gearbox and engine are both completely standard.

Thanks

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Maybe a clutch is slipping.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
didnt know the early gearboxs had temp sensors in them or is this engine temps ? if the oil is low and the converter is not filling properly and its making more ''stall'' rpm that will cause more heat

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
In my opinion, with a appropriate sized cooler, your trans should run slightly cooler than your engine coolant temp.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
In my opinion, with a appropriate sized cooler, your trans should run slightly cooler than your engine coolant temp.

Yea, I would say about 80c around the temp where it should be happy.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
didnt know the early gearboxs had temp sensors in them or is this engine temps ? if the oil is low and the converter is not filling properly and its making more ''stall'' rpm that will cause more heat

All the 4L60e's have a temp sensor in them, it's a part of the pressure switch plate assembly.

iu

iu

Hey everyone,
I'm currently having an issue with my statesman where the gearbox is running a bit hot. It's getting up near 100c driving around normally and my test pedal area is getting quite hot when this happens.

Does anyone know what is the ideal operating temperature range for these gearboxes as I'm getting conflicting information on it and what could be causing it to run so hot?

For reference, I'm not hard on it, I don't tow with it and the gearbox and engine are both completely standard.

Thanks

100°C (212° F) is quite hot, how are you measuring it?

iu

Have you checked the fluid level? When was the last time the fluid was changed? Low fluid may cause the box to slip which will create extra heat.

What RPM does it show at 100km/h? It should be about approx 1800rpm (or slightly under). If it's higher maybe there is something going on with the converter lock isn't working which creates more heat. Converter lock issues are common on high mileage 4L60e's.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
As stated 80°C is where you want it

The OEM tune on them is a slippy crap mess, more tuned for soft comfortable shifts than for performance or longevity

They all should have come with a "good" efficient cooler from factory

Excessive heat will kill them quick

Service your transmission with a full flush and new filter, and fit a trans air to oil cooler

To fully flush your transmission there is a simple procedure to replace all the fluid, it a 2 man job though, and takes a little time as you only flush out a litre or two (max) at a time by removing the return line, attaching a hose to it to feed the old oil into a container

First, drop your pan and replace the filter, then refill to trans

Then, disconnect the return line after the radiator and use a hose to send it to a container

One person will start the car and put it in drive, or reverse

The other will watch as the oil goes into the container and tell the one in the car to put it back in park when the container has had around a litre pumped into the container, this will stop the flow, then drop the amount of fresh fluid back into the filler neck that was pumped out

Rinse and repeat until all the old fluid is flushed out

Reinstall the return line and check fluid level, top up if required

The 4l60e holds around 12 litres total (pan/converter), I typically get 15 litres of fresh oil to do the job, and have some spare for any spills or top ups, I do have the cooler though and that holds some oil to (maybe a litre)

You need to do this as the pan only holds about 30% of your trans fluid, the rest is in the converter and some in the lines

I use a PWR cooler that is plug and play because I'm lazy and didn't want to fab anything

I do have a 2300 stall though, but, with the cooler my trans temps stay around 80°C

I flush the transmission yearly, because I enjoy servicing and playing around with the car
trans_cooler_73aa3061-a2c0-4305-a830-d53740d4a46f_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If trans oil not burn & all seems ok...add a deep pan & biggest trans cooler can easily fit in there.

Derale is decent brand.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
All the 4L60e's have a temp sensor in them, it's a part of the pressure switch plate assembly.

iu

iu

100°C (212° F) is quite hot, how are you measuring it?

iu

Have you checked the fluid level? When was the last time the fluid was changed? Low fluid may cause the box to slip which will create extra heat.

What RPM does it show at 100km/h? It should be about approx 1800rpm (or slightly under). If it's higher maybe there is something going on with the converter lock isn't working which creates more heat. Converter lock issues are common on high mileage 4L60e's.
Scan tool is telling me the temp and fluid level is perfect. Isn't burnt or anything and was serviced 5 months ago. Sits at about 1800rpm at 100kmh and has no issues changing gears either.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Statesman V6
If trans oil not burn & all seems ok...add a deep pan & biggest trans cooler can easily fit in there.

Derale is decent brand.
Alright thanks. Fluid level is good and not burnt or anything. Changes gears fine and doesnt slip or anything. I got an external cooler here im thinking of fitting as I don't wanna risk blowing the gearbox up.