Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Interesting no start issue - was the fuel pressure regulator stuck?

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
G'day mates,

So I've got an interesting one here...

Had the ole VR playing up a bit lately. It all began last year a few months back with a stuffed fuel pump. Eventually fixed it and back on the road again.

Few weeks back I decided to do a full brake flush since it was well overdue and one thing lead to another, it's been off the road for a number of weeks.

Before the brake job it was running fine though from memory it had some O2 and IAC codes come up, now I finished the brakes and go to start it and it won't. Turns over but no start...got me stumped. Tried swapping some relays around and still no go. I can smell fuel, likely flooded it.

So I let it sit till the next day or so then got back to it and I'm thinking FPR (never replaced by me) or DFI module (again never replaced) or maybe CAS (replaced it once). Couldn't verify spark as I didn't have a tester and shops are out...I'm in country WA.

I pull the FPR out and the outlet hose from it is bone dry. I know it's been sitting around for a while but that hose should at least drip a tiny bit, right?

After another day I put the FPR back in to do a check to see if it's leaking at the vacuum port. It's not... but then I pull the outlet and there is fuel dripping out the return hose.

During all this time and lotsa head scratching I cleaned some contacts at the DFI and the 6 and 8 pin plugs at the relay box. Then I had a hunch, put it all back together and it fired up first go and now it seems to start and run fine.

Am I looking at a dicky FPR that randomly got stuck closed while the car was just sitting?? What do you all reckon? The fact my fuel pump died earlier on tells me maybe it's related.

Or it could be the brand new fuel pump was stuck, can't say that I know for sure the pump was running or not...it's a Delphi no doubt made in China. Are the China Bosch (BFP772) any better if this turns out to be the case?

Cheers

Last edited:

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I'm thinking this was the problem?
Yeah it's possible...

Though I've decided to replace the FPR with an adjustable one and I'll post how my setup looks. That way I can rule out the FPR being bad and if the pump conks out I can upgrade it to a Walbro 255 as that's probably the most logical choice.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I've just got my eco smeg going after having the crank ,no start...New CAS shat itself at the shop on Saturday,
changed used VN DFI out to a brand new one (Goss) still wouldn't start.
Finally started to drive home, wouldn't start Sunday. Been through and tested CAS and Cam Position Sensor all good.
Put it back together and now runs again.

In the end I put it down to the fact that taking the black plastic cover off of the DFI connector and straightening the wires up from the dogleg it was in got rid of a dodgy connection. So the work you did around the DFI connector probably did it.;)

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Update to this issue, so it looks like it was the reg after all...

Car konked out a couple of times since I made the post and before I installed an eBay Aeromotive A1000 clone FPR. Once just off idle rounding the corner back to my place but restarted fine and again happened a separate time on the highway doing 110 under partial acceleration and at first didn't restart but did start a few mins later (lucky).

Very intermittent, since I drove it fine for a few short and one long trip in between with no issue. Should mention the reg had fuel smell in the little vac hose but no raw fuel so it must've been a degraded diaphragm.

After the new FPR went on I've had no issues but the only two codes still showing are 13 and 36. Unsure if related but likely not.

Edit: Due to a postage snafu with the first FPR I ended up with another compact Aeromotive clone FPR so I'll post pics once I decide which one I'll mount permanently.

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Update to this issue, so it looks like it was the reg after all...

Car konked out a couple of times since I made the post and before I installed an eBay Aeromotive A1000 clone FPR. Once just off idle rounding the corner back to my place but restarted fine and again happened a separate time on the highway doing 110 under partial acceleration and initially didn't restart but did start a few mins later (lucky).

Very intermittent, since I drove it fine for a few short and one long trip in between with no issue. Should mention the reg had fuel smell in the little vac hose but no raw fuel so it must've been a degraded diaphragm.

After the new FPR went on I've had no issues but the only two codes still showing are 13 and 36. Unsure if related but likely not.
You probably know this, but this is for the people who don't know.

Error 13 is right side oxygen sensor no signal.
Error 36 is a vacuum leak.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Yeah, thanks those are the codes. Likely needs a new O2 sensor but as for the vac leak, no clue, was hoping it was caused by the faulty reg but clearly not.
Codes did come back together though at the exact same time but can't see how the two are linked.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah, thanks those are the codes. Likely needs a new O2 sensor but as for the vac leak, no clue, was hoping it was caused by the faulty reg but clearly not.
Codes did come back together though at the exact same time but can't see how the two are linked.
Leak in the exhaust?