Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Problems

V

VBSL79

How would a 3:55.1 go in my commodore i been told if i chage to a VK or VL Diff i gotta change **** over and i really dont wanna do that

chuck

Reaction score
A 3.55 would be good if you want good take off but on the highway it would suck a lot of fuel,.I had that ratio in my LC torana and it cost me $80 to drive to coffs harbour from brisbane, one way,.
I had a 3.08 in my old VC sedan and I drove to sydney for the same price,and the fuel is dearer down there .
that should give you some idea of the difference diff ratios can make.

V

VBSL79

I would like to say thank you to every who has helped me i got hold of a VH SLE for $200 i am useing the diff from that which is 3.08:1 i just hope it is a LSD Diff

O

oldn64

Good luck with the LSD idea, this was an option not a standard. If it is an LSD then get it reco as this will save you lots of time. To check (if it is still good) rotate the axle on one side and see if the axle on the other rotates the same way or opposite.

if opposite it is a normal open diff (or a stuff LSD)
if same then you have an LSD

IS the VH SLE a v8 or six as teh diffs are different. if six and yours is a six too then swap only the centres.

Cheers

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
if you are using a webber carby this could use heaps of fuel if not set up correctly,you didnt say if it was a downdraught or side draught carb ,on that motor it would be best to use a downdraught,then you would have to have it rejetted to perform well.if it is a side draught then the choke sizes are probably too large,this will really guzzle the fuel
cheers fergi