Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VYsam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Ute
Hey just curios if it is possible to put an Eaton M90 in a stock ecotech without upgrades to the engine just a custom tune.
Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey just curios if it is possible to put an Eaton M90 in a stock ecotech without upgrades to the engine just a custom tune.
Thanks
Yes, but you need to modify the heads.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
They need holes drilled in them for the injectors.

VYsam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Ute
They need holes drilled in them for the injectors.
Yeah i was looking at the L67 Fuel injectors but i wasn't sure if I could get away with just upgrading to them, I've seen lots of people say that you have to upgrade basically everything or engine swap to a L67 but I don't want to do any of that just want to see what the bare minimum would be

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The Eco heads need to come off and get drilled. It will be ok on Eco bottom end.

VYsam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Ute
Sweet as I was originally planning on doing that and getting it tuned to run and upgrading other aspects of the engine later on but there isn't much definitive information about supercharging a stock Ecotech, so thanks for the help

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sweet as I was originally planning on doing that and getting it tuned to run and upgrading other aspects of the engine later on but there isn't much definitive information about supercharging a stock Ecotech, so thanks for the help
There used to be. Even thread digging this forum going back to 2005-2006 you would have such questions asked often.

It can be done but you have to build the engine to suit it. Otherwise it’s an expensive boat anchor.

If you are strapped for cash, this kind of mod is not on the cards. Hence the advice to find an L67.

What is your budget?

Are you off your P’s?

VYsam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Ute
There used to be. Even thread digging this forum going back to 2005-2006 you would have such questions asked often.

It can be done but you have to build the engine to suit it. Otherwise it’s an expensive boat anchor.

If you are strapped for cash, this kind of mod is not on the cards. Hence the advice to find an L67.

What is your budget?

Are you off your P’s?
Yeah I'm on my full license, but I live in NZ so it's alot harder and expensive to find a L67 engine.
I don't really have a budget atm I just got a m90 supercharger without doing any research and am trying to see what I'd need for it to get running, i'm not fussed on making crazy power or pushing the engine or anything like that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It can definitely be done but you basically need to do a complete top swap, everything from the heads up and you will also need all the front drive accessories, belts, pulleys etc. It'll cost more to find a machine shop to machine the heads to suit injectors than it would to find some L67 heads most likely.

Once all that is done the tune will need to be played with, the stock ecotec has a compression ratio of 9.4:1 where as the L67 is 8.5:1 so the engine will not be happy with the L67 tune and the ecotec has much weaker pistons which will not like detonation. Detonation from a bad tune will also hammer the big end bearings and you'll end up with a spun bearing in short order if you are not careful. I've seen this occur on a top swap ecotec that developed a rod knock after we were led to believe it was a genuine L67.