Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Digital Speedo

A

Amcis

Hi,

I have a VP Berlina, and wish to make a digital speedometer, to acompany the original one on the dash.

My plan is to mount the disply, in the space under the stsreo, behind a perspex plate.

Does anyone have a schematic of the circuit to do this?

if not, I was going to buy the digital speedo/speed alert kit from Jaycar electronics.

I found the Speed Sensor wire and where it connects to behind the dash. Can someone also tell me, what signal these has, eg.. voltage, ohms, etc..

Is it possible.

Adam.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Digital speedo/tacho,.. just pulse counters appropriately scaled.

I'd take the senser output, in your VP, it should be giving you 10 pulses/rotation, clean the signal, (you mention elsewhere that you're into electronics) and use that as a base. You'll also notice that the cluster itself scales down the pule rate before it feeds it back to the ECU, this might be a cleaner signal for you to use.

A project I'll get back to doing one day is, 'altering the pulse rate', to accomodate different diif gears - I was going to do this with a suitably programmed PIC. I've done most of the leg work on what I need to do just need to go through the actual program/testing bit.

Naccas

Reaction score
I had the Jaycar kit in my old VL and it worked pretty damn good. Update time was a bit slow but it was still good to have a back up to my analog speedo.
I picked up the pulse signal off the automatic gearbox computer (which was seperate to the ECU in the VL).

It was a good talking point as the rest of the car was pretty ordinary.

Cheers,
Naccas

87-VL-Commodore

Hey naccas, how much did that cost you man? I want to put cruise control and speed alert in my VL because I'm sick of getting speeding fines for doing 4k over!

Naccas

Reaction score
The speed alert kit was about $65 (from Jaycar) from memory and took me probably a couple of days to put together.

Incidentally, I also installed a cruise control kit too, probably the best feature of the car, made long distance trips a lot easier, no more cramped legs/feet.

Cheers,
Naccas