Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common Vl Fault

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
one thing holden might have made a boo boo on is the vl aircon circuit.

after a period of time, and due to the car's age, the fuse holder for the aircon tends to melt, making all sort's of problems arise due to this

the cause of this is because the cable holden put in for the fuse is the right size, the fuse is to big, and as a result of that, the plastic will actualy melt away before the fuse will blow. this does cause quite a few problems in the vl. the best way to repair this problem is a cheap and easy way

simply cut the cable that is on the aircon only, no more, at the fuse box that is.

then go out, and buy a fusable link, it's a realy cool looking thingy, it's got 2 cables and a little fuse holder, simply join the cables together, it dont matter which cable goes where on the fuseable link, it can only go in 2 way's of course, but make sure there is only 1 cable at each joint. when you join them, twist them together, with a pair of plier's or by hand, eitherway, make sure no strands are sticking out. using a gas torch, or a hand held soldering iron, head up the cable, use some solder to join the cables, this offers' less of a chance of repair comming undone, and makes a better connection, and elimenates anychange of a electrical hotspot. alow the cable to cool down, and wrap with insulating tape, this will help insulation from other cables,

it's as simple as that

cheers
garth

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
I had this problem on my gfs VL exec, but i didnt realise it was the fuse causing the problem, and after a few months it burnt out another fuse and after opening and finally looking in her fuse panel box i realised why it wasn't working.
Hell yeh to that fusable link! I use them a few times in my stereo set up as well i think my car would have prolly burnt to the ground by now if it wasn't for them.

M

mickey

mmmm 38 degree day chiselling burnt plastic from the fuse box while GF cooks in the cabin... ahhhh those were the days... (when the air con worked!!!) Thank god for my VP!