Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clean Up Paint

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Huh? Those statements seem contradictory to me...

Anyway, that is why i suggested to use petrol as a solvent ... i do not know of any factory car paint that was harmed at the bowser ...
What I meant was, it won't melt the **** out of 2 pack paint and won't hurt it structurally. It'll take the sheen away a little. If you leave a rag soaked with thinner on the paint for a long period, it will melt in. I probably meant to delete the first line before posting.

Don't put petrol on your paint. Paraffin's and oils aren't what you want in the pores of your paint.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Petrol is just a complex mixture of hydrocarbons. It is less aggressive than thinners. Car paint is designed to have petrol put on it that's why it isn't damaged when some is spilt when refuelling. The petroleum industry spews a lot of voodoo to keep it mysterious and to promote resource scarcity ...

A typical msds for acrylic thinners http://www.aamtech.com.au/pdf/msds/Septone Acrylic Thinner SDS 2013.pdf

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Petrol is just a complex mixture of hydrocarbons. It is less aggressive than thinners. Car paint is designed to have petrol put on it that's why it isn't damaged when some is spilt when refuelling.

It's designed to protect the material underneath, give an aesthetically pleasing finish and make it easy to clean. 2 pack paints by nature are chemical resistant. Petrol will leave a darker stain on lighter colours if you continually spill it on the paintwork without cleaning it afterwards.

Ever tried respraying a panel that's been drenched in oil? Paint has pores, much the same as your skin. It's a polymer and will soften when in contact with harsh solvents. Petrol won't be effective in removing the top layer of paint like thinners will.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Yeah i agree thinners will be more effective as they are more aggressive.

Typical composition is toluene, naphtha petroleum, light aliphatic solvent, acetone, ethanol

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Paint has pores, much the same as your skin. It's a polymer and will soften when in contact with harsh solvents.

Paint has pores if it dries by solvent evaporation. That is why it is important to do multiple coats to block off the substrate. If these "pores" reach metal they will promote rust by allowing moisture and oxygen. I am not sure paint has pores if the action is by catalyst to cross linking polymers.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
When I say pores, I mean microscopic peaks and troughs that can hold contaminants such as silicones and oils that make rework a nightmare later on - not necessarily holes in the paintwork.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
When I say pores, I mean microscopic peaks and troughs that can hold contaminants such as silicones and oils that make rework a nightmare later on - not necessarily holes in the paintwork.

Ah ok ... some of those "pores" are microscopically deep too ...

Off topic but if you want to stop rust on a steel trailer then spray at least half a dozen coats of paint on it ... spray each coat on at least a few days apart ... metal rusts when atmosphere gets to it so block off the access to atmo ...

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
if it's just from a pressure can base coat

metho and a rag will remove it quickly without any other damage to your existing paint

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
if it's just from a pressure can base coat

metho and a rag will remove it quickly without any other damage to your existing paint

I ended up using thinners, took about 3 hours to get it all off
Surprisingly the trim was white, so im buggered if i know why he painted it in the first place.