Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine light after cat back exhaust VF Sv6

Spectre sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 ve commodore ute sv6 series 2
Put a black ops performance cat back exhaust 2.25" on. Kept all the sensors. Took it for a drive and the whole thing was smoking a lot, i put this down to any oils in the paint or even maybe in the pipes itself. 95% of the smoke is gone and now when i start it (the next day) i get a slight smell of the same smoke but i cant see any. Anyway the check engine light is now on and i was wondering if u guys had any ideas or experience as to why or how i can fix it.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Put a black ops performance cat back exhaust 2.25" on. Kept all the sensors. Took it for a drive and the whole thing was smoking a lot, i put this down to any oils in the paint or even maybe in the pipes itself. 95% of the smoke is gone and now when i start it (the next day) i get a slight smell of the same smoke but i cant see any. Anyway the check engine light is now on and i was wondering if u guys had any ideas or experience as to why or how i can fix it.
Put the original cats back on .

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I was once told by an exhaust shop that the post CAT 02 sensors on the Alloytecs often throw up fault codes with aftermarket CATS.
Don't know how true that is but they reckoned they have seen it quite often.
Fortunately my 04 VZ only has pre CAT 02 sensors so they said aftermarket CATS would not present any problems on my 1 Tonner.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Old thread but for history's sake, I would suggest resetting ecu(disconnect battery for 15-20 mins) and letting it relearn. Not only aftermarket exhausts but OTR intakes can throw check engine at you. If after a few hundred Ks after resetting ecu it still happens, either revert mods or get it tuned with the mods.