Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Or Blue?

G

grover

you are spot on with .your comments about the fuel and octane ratings kim.probably would pay to have your seats done.you seem to have a fair idea of what you are talking about so i think you will go alright.
thought i had better point out your little indiscretions jake.you have too much information running around in that head of yours.only a matter of time till the wrong stuff is transmitted through your fingers. hahaha

R

Rallyguy

All sounds like good advice...

Some say the blue blocks are better castings, all the rally guys run with those and don't have any problems. We only do basic stuff like balancing the bottom end, the standard bearings hold up well enough. Obviously HQ flatops too, brings comp up to about 10.2 depending on how much is removed during decking.

The head is where most of the gains are. We have to run the standard iron 12 port heads - not the now rare YT alloy ones. Just massive valves and huge ports - probably this is the most expensive item.

Roller rockers if you decide to go mechanical lifters - recommended, and of course a solid profile cam. I use and recommend one of the 1972 HDT racing grinds... very special..

Port matched tripple 45 webers or dellortos, or even injection if the budget will go that far.

My current 202 cost $4500 to build and around $1200 for the carbs so it's expensive. Then again I konw a guy who spent over $25,000 on a 202 - for an honest 300HP though.

As for exhaust the freer the flow the better with these things as the heads really struggle no matter how much porting you do. I've found the Pacemaker 12 port headers work best... cut off the lower collector and run a duel system. If legal in your state try to keep the pipe length short as possible - side dump.

Of course the blue dizzy is the best but after these mods MUST be graphed by someong who knows what they are doing.

The standard Aussie 4sp will hold up ok providing you don't dump the clutch too often, go for the M21 out of a V8, the 6cyl M21 is too rare these days. The V8 M21 will fit on easy with a spacer plate from CRS.. Reason is the above engine is peaky as buggery and you'll need the close ratios...

Enjoy