Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Annoying Noise

M

mza

i THINK its the fan, since all belts seem to be fine, anybody had this be4?
sound it reminds me of is a bike wheel with a card in it hehe sorta sounds like paper flciking cept loud, and it changes loudness sometimes. keeps speed with engine revs not speed of car. could it be the clutch on the fan or something? standard vh setup here blue 202, etc. theres no visible clashing of material anywhere in the engine bay with the fan or anything. any ideas appreciated. thanks.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
have you looked at the starter motor maybe the gear is hitting the flywheel slightly after starting (not returning all the way)

just a thaught might not be it

R

Rallyguy

Hmmm might even be the fan belt. Sometimes when worn they delaminate and daggy bits hang off the outer edge slap against the swaybar..

Sideways

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Just make sure that the fan shroud it tight and not contorting when under a high fan air flow!

Sure its not tappet noise?
or an exaust noise?

Just checking!!!!!

Are all the pully's OK?

Regards Guy.

M

mza

pulleys seem fine
im 99% sure its not exhust or anything, sounds like its coming from front of engine bay
ill check on the starter motor, and the belts do prob need replacing (service on monday)
the shroud is fine, looks new even. theres no visible slapping of parts
but im gettin a mates dad to check it out tomorrow morning, so ill let yas know what it was anyway, hopefully i can get it fixed before a cruise im supposed to be going on tomorrow night

G

grover

whip the belt off and run the engine and see if the noise has gone,narrow it down from there.........

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE (grover @ Feb 21 2004, 08:00 PM) whip the belt off and run the engine and see if the noise has gone,narrow it down from there.........
Best suggestion yet It's always the best way to identify pulley/belt/waterpump noise. Just don't run it for too long

Jake

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
just for my 5 cents worth i have looked at a vk berlina with that noise in the engine bay and i discovered down the track a piston was cracked turnt me for buying the car nice car though all calias options, how sad but that was a 202 black motor

cheers

scott

G

Grantis1976

This ones from Mrs Grantis1976. Check to see if there is any leaves or other minor crap stuck behind radiator.

This, to me makes sence, because if there is something there, you may not beable to see it until you start the engine, the fan gets the airflowing thru the shround, and blows the leaf out into the way of the fan = flicking noise

Good Luck !!!