Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alternators

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
when you get a batterylight on in your car, dont panic, it could be only 2 things,

1. the brushes in your alternator arnt hitting the comutator properly, this is a thing that alway's happens. alot of places will try to sell you these "high carbon" brushes. dont be fooled into getting so called high quallity brushes, a set of brushes should set you back no more than $10.00 to replace.

2. the voltage regulator is another common problem. the only way you can realy check the voltage regulator in the alternator is to take it out. if there is any black dust on it, replace it. what the voltage regulator does is it keeps the voltage to your battery at a constant voltage. e.g. a 12 volt battery needs 122.9 volts to charge it up.

if either of these things happen it's a realy easy job to replace. people will often tell you that your alternator is broken, you will find most times that it's not the alternator at all, they only consist of 1 moving part. alternators are a high grade peice of steel spining on 2 set's of ball bearings with slip rings or bushes, (depending on car) only replace the alternator if the bearings are buggered. or if there is a strong smell of burning plastic (that is the smell you get from the lamante insulation on the armature windings melting)

replacing bushes is just a waste of time to be very honest. alway's replace both get a hybrid voltreg (it's very expensive to get a genuine part and a hybrid is just as good if not better)

i hope this helps people in some sort of a way.

cheers
garth

3800VK

Could a faulty voltage regulator also cause the battery to remain overcharged, say at about 14v? I have noticed this but am not going to worry to much unless it goes up anymore.

Thanx

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
a faulty volt reg could cause that type of a problem. as for a batery being overcharged, they say on the battery that it's a 12 v batery, but in real life, the battery is actualy anywhere between 11.92 up to about 13.8v, it all depends on the type of electrolyte (the fluid) and the amound of surface space on each cell. even though it's not good for electrical circuits to have over voltage, its not gonna cause any problems in the short term future.

a battery will hold it's charge, but you will find that when you start it it dropes down to what it should be,

cheers
garth

3800VK

Cheers.
I have also noticed that the voltage gauge jumps in time with the blinkers so I am thinking the battery is a little stuffed. It sat flat for near 2 years and I was going to give up on it but 2 days on a trickle charger and hey presto. It has been right since and seems to keep its charge.
Thanx

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
if the voltage fluctuates with the indicators going at the same time it could be a dirty earth strap,a fully charged battery should read about 13.7 volts and if you keep overcharging a battery it will shorten its life and if it is a low maintenance battery you cant do too much with the fluid level but if it has the 6 caps on top and its always over charged you will probably notice you have to top the battery up regular
cheers
fergi